This month on the Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Patreon I’m welcoming agent Eric Smith and former editor Anica Mrose Rissi for exclusive behind-the-publishing-world editions of the podcast.
Eric Smith of PS Literary joined me to talk about what he loves – and hates – in queries, what genres he’s looking for, what he’s not, and how to hook him from the beginning with a quick and simple query formula. He also reads examples from his client’s queries that worked, and a few from his inbox that… didn’t.
Listen to the sneak peak of Eric Smith’s episode below, and become a Patron to access the full episode when it posts July 1.
Also posting on the Patreon July 1st will be an episode with former Executive Editor Anica Mrose Rissi. With experience at three major publishers and 13 years on the other side of the desk, her episode is full of great information for both aspiring and already published authors.
Want to know what a “revise and resubmit” invitation actually means? Or how the submission process works from the moment your manuscript hits an editor’s desk to the time an offer is (or isn’t) made? How about what determines an advance amount for an author? Or what an IP project is and how they work?
This episode is LOADED with great information. Check out the teaser below for a snippet and become a patron to listen to the entire episode on July 1!
What is Patreon?
Great question. It’s a platform for artists like myself to provide content to fans and followers. Users find creators whose work they want to support, choose a tier offering, and are charged that amount once a month to have access to that creator’s content.
What’s on the Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Patreon?
There’s a little bit of everything, from weekly writing advice to query and first page critiques, exclusive agent and editor podcasts, to signed swag and first editions of my books.
Here’s a breakdown of my what tiers look like:
- $1 The Writer: Writing Advice
- Weekly Monday posts featuring writing advice. Recent posts include Three Words You Totally Don’t Need, Three ways NOT to Start Your Story, and Three Title Constructions NOT to Use.
- $3 The Query: Critique
- Weekly Saturday query critiques of Patron’s queries, line by line. I’ll break down what’s working… and what’s not. Note that I do offer FREE query critiques here on the blog in the form of The Saturday Slash. This paid Patreon option is for those who wish to skip the waiting line for the blog.
- $5 The Agent: Exclusive Agent Podcast Episode
- Access to a monthly podcast featuring an agent interview, running approx. 30 mins. in length. These will post starting June 1, with my first guest Adriann Ranta Zurhellen of Foundry Literary. Check out a sneak peak of Adriann’s episode below!
- $7 The First Page: Critique
- Weekly Tuesday critiques of Patron’s first pages, line by line. I’ll break down what’s working… and what’s not.
- $10 The Editor: Exclusive Editor Podcast Episode
- Access to a monthly podcast featuring an editor interview, running approx. 30 mins in length. These will post starting June 1, with my first guest Ben Rosenthal of Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins. Check out a sneak peak of Ben’s episode below!
- $15 The Interviewer: Ask Your Questions to Agent & Editor Guests
- Early reveals about the upcoming agent and editor guests. Post questions for your dream agent or editor, and I’ll ask them on the podcast.
- $20 The Publicist: Swag
- Monthly mailings of signed swag from me, Mindy McGinnis, as well as personalized postcards and notes while I’m traveling for book tours.
- $50 The Reader: Books
- Monthly mailings of previously released novels, signed first printings of each new novel as they are released, and signed anthologies featuring my short stories.
Want to support the blog but aren’t into Patreon?